Sunday, March 30, 2008

Lesson Two: Basic Words and Expressions

Hola= Hello (remember H doesn´t have any sound)
Adios= Bye
Gracias= Thanks
Por favor= Please (V sounds like B)
Buenos dias= Good morning
Buenas tardes= Good evening
Buenas noches= Good night
Me llamo Francisco= I am called Francisco
Soy Francisco= I am Francisco
Mi nombre es Francisco= My name is Francisco
Encantado de conocerte= Pleased to meet you
SI= YES - IF
NO= NO

Let´s analize: You should pronounce the C in Gracias as we showed you ("Thin" thought") Soy Francisco starts already with the verb, not with a pronoun (Yo soy Francisco), this is because in Spanish the verbs have endings and we know who is the subject of the action without the need of pronouns.

Mi nombre es, Mi is the first posesive pronoun (My in english) .
Encantado= pleased ADO and IDO are the past particles, like the english ending -ED (Played or Cooked)

Conocerte= To know YOU, The verb `To know" in infinitive is CONOCER if we add this TE at the end the action goes to YOU (To know YOU)

Bueno= Good, Buenos= Good in plural. The adjectives in Spanish are formed also in plural adding an -S We saw in the alphabet Gato (cat) and casa (House) The plurals would be Gatos (cats) and Casas (houses).Dias means "days" (so literally Buenos dias= Good days!)

Me llamo= LLAMAR would be the verb TO CALL Yo llamo= I call, Yo me llamo= I call myself or I am called.This explanations are meant to be a soft introduction, nobody expects you to understand the structure of the phrases in the very first class, so...don´t worry, go on reading without stress

J.ARTICLES In Spanish there are articles like in English for determined (The house) and undetermined (A house)

The articles are:UN LIBRO (A book) UNOS LIBROS (Some books) MASC. INDETERMINEDUNA CASA (A house) UNAS CASAS (Some houses)

FEM.There is gender in Spanish for the words, Libro is masculine finishes in O, Casa is feminine finishes in A.Almost all the words finishing in O are masculine, and almost all the words finishing in A are feminine. EL LIBRO (The book) LOS LIBROS (The books) MASC. DETERMINEDLA CASA (The house) LAS CASAS (The houses) FEM.

Try to put the articles to "GATOS" in a paper, go on reading to find the solution...

BASIC PHRASES

Me gusta= I like (it´s liked by me)
Me gustan= I like (for plural)
Quiero= I want
Tengo= I have
Debo= I must

The first person of regular verbs finish always in O (tengo, quiero etc.)
Los Gatos (determined) Unos gatos ( indetermined)

Tengo una casa= I have a house
Quiero el libro en mi casa= I want the book in my house
Me gusta mi casa= I like my house
Me gusta mi nombre= I like my name
Tengo un dia complicado= I have a complicated day (we have seen already how -ED becomes ADO or IDO.
Los libros son buenos= The books are good.
Me gustan los libros= I like the books-

To make the negative we add NO always at the begining of the phrase
No me gustan los libros= I don´t like books
No quiero llamar a Juan= I don´t want to call John

No comments:

Google